Monday, August 12, 2013

Week 4 Reflection

This week has given me hope.  I actually feel my plan is workable, and I am ready to get started.  School will resume for teachers this Friday.  Although winning the lottery would be nice so I could jet off to an island somewhere rather than go back to school, I am ready and armed with my plan.  I want to get started and find out if my plan is viable and change it if it isn't!  I feel the excitement around me also with my site supervisor as she supports me to try what might be the saving grace for tutoring this year.  In reflecting, my plan has student success at the heart of it all.  To me, that is what any good plan needs to accomplish.  I want students to learn, learn well, and retain what they learn (any teacher's goal).  I am prepared to put in more time up front for these struggling kidos and reap the benefits as we go.  The cherry on top was when I saw a student from last year this morning at registration.  She will be going to 6th grade.  My gut clenched because there was a time when neither one of us thought she was going to make it.  She was all smiles and red faced as she hugged me with her little eyes twinkling announcing she was ready for 6th grade.  That is why I am here.  That is why I want a better way to help my students.  That is why on Friday morning I will breath deeply and thank God that I can make a difference! 

2 comments:

  1. Lana, what a sweet reflection. It is so felt by me as well. Sometimes we just wish we could jet off but we also know those kids need us and every year we learn as much as they do. I know it will be a great year for you and I wish you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the thought of winning the lottery is on everyone mind the way the jackpot has been increasing. Then there are priceless moments like those when you see a kid that you think might not make it or a kid that you touched and you didn't even realize it. Those are the priceless moments that money cant replace or even buy those moments.

    ReplyDelete